Garage Door Painting
A Simple Face Lift
Painting is a relatively simple and affordable project that is capable of doing a lot for the beauty of your home. Since your garage door can make up to 30% of your home’s exterior, it’s important you care about its condition. As garage doors age, paint can fade, chip, and peel away. On the other hand, you could be bored with your garage door’s color and have a desire to update it. In either case, garage door painting Vancouver is certainly a project our team can handle.
How to Select the Right Garage Door Color
Once you have decided to update your garage door’s color, there are certain questions to ask yourself before the project. Thunder Garage Door & Locksmith Services understands the importance of your garage door’s image. Our professional garage door painters in Portland help you select the right color for your garage door so it makes a statement while complementing the rest of your home. When our professional garage door painters in Portland meet with you about your garage door painting Vancouver, we’ll consider the following for your paint color:
- Existing colors of your home
- Style and architecture of your home
- Garage door materials
- Neighborhood aesthetics
- Homeowner’s association guidelines (if applicable)
Garage Door Painting Process
A garage door painting project typically takes two to three days. When scheduling your garage door painting Vancouver we look at the forecast to make a decision. The optimal temperature is between 50 to 75 degrees, with indirect sunlight and low humidity. We don’t want any precipitation either. It is best to have these qualities for up to 72 hours for the best results. Once we have your painting project scheduled, you can expect our process to look like the following:
- Clean the Garage Door: We use a mild cleaning agent and scrub brush to remove any dirt or grime from the garage door. Once cleaned, we’ll dry it with a towel and let it air dry for a few minutes.
- Safety Precautions: Our technicians want to remain safe during the project so expect them to disconnect your garage door opener. They will ensure it gets plugged back in after the project is complete.
- Protect Surfaces: It is important to cover any surfaces that we don’t want paint on, which includes the garage floor, driveway, and door framing. We lay down canvas drop cloths for the ground and tape off the frame edges with painter’s tape.
- Apply Primer: Primer is not always necessary, but it helps bond the new paint to the door. We apply the primer starting at the top and work our way down.
- Paint Complex Areas: After the primer is dry, we’ll begin painting the surfaces of your door that may have beveled edges, raised or recessed panels, or designs. These areas are hard to reach and require some extra detail.
- Paint Remaining Door: Finally, we paint the remaining door and let it dry for up to 72 hours.
What Kind of Paint Do You Use on a Garage Door?
For vinyl and wooden garage doors, our professional garage door painters in Portland use high-quality exterior latex paint. It is built to withstand the elements and remain beautiful over time. For metal garage doors, we use oil-based exterior paint. We also prime your garage door, so the paint has a strong foundation. Primer gives your paint greater durability and allows the color to pop. These qualities are what you want from a garage door painting in Vancouver .
How Long Does Garage Door Paint Last?
Your factory finish will last a relatively long time. As long as you care and maintain your garage door, you can expect it to last for a while. Painting over the factory finish will last about 5 to 10 years. It comes down to the type of paint you use and how well you care for the door. Prolong the life of your paint by keeping it clean and getting repaired when damage occurs. These actions will do wonders for your door’s beauty.